US work authorization (Required)
general counsel: 10 years (Preferred)
Full Job Description
At Nature’s Medicines, we are in the business of improving people’s lives. We bring our purpose to life by creating life-enhancing experience in the communities we serve, navigating our business lines with excellence, and dedicating ourselves to shaping the future of cannabis as a leading healthcare solution. As a team that connects, enlightens, and empowers, Nature’s Medicines is looking for people who are inspired by our vision and wish to grow with us as we continue our national expansion. If you too would like to improve people’s lives, we’d like to learn more about you.
WHY NATURE’S MEDICINES:
The Nature’s Medicines team is defined by our people. We are committed to our values and have created a culture of trust, but we also remember to have fun. Here are a few more reasons why Nature’s Medicines is a great place to be:
- Competitive pay
- Attractive insurance benefits and options
- Paid time off
- Professional development and workplace happiness initiatives
We believe in building a diverse team, and we strive to make our company a welcoming space where everyone can make an impact on Nature’s Medicines success. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to join us.
The General Counsel will lead and manage all aspects of the Legal function for all states that the company operates in. This is a dynamic, fast-paced and ever-changing landscape and will require exceptional business acumen and the ability to research and navigate a wide range of legal issues. This position will help to ensure that company-wide strategies, policies, and programs are developed and executed with full awareness and recognition of all applicable laws and legal implications. The General Counsel will assist with all corporate issues, compliance, employment law, cannabis laws, litigation, corporate governance and more.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Advise the company on legal risks, legal and business strategies, commercial transactions, and contract law.
- Be responsible for all the company’s legal needs and requirements, contracts, commercial contracts, corporate governance, regulatory compliance issues, data privacy, and all other service under the legal umbrella.
- Engage with outside counsel as needed.
- Oversee all legal matters of the company as whole and act as the business’ legal representative.
- Collaborate with the People & Culture team to ensure all operations are in full compliance in all locations.
- Provide strategic legal and business advice to develop the company’s relationships and ensure we have long-term contingency plans.
- Strong knowledge of employment law and able to translate that amongst the team.
- Advise the executive team on new and existing laws in the cannabis arena to ensure compliance at all times.
- Oversee all legal matters for the company.
- Ability to create and deliver presentations to the company on legal matters.
- Examine, create, and implement draft agreements (employment, vendor, etc.)
- Proactively find solutions and create best practices to mitigate risk.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Anticipate and identify legal issues and develop and coordinate legal strategies and solutions as appropriate.
- Proactively identify and advise on risk management strategies.
- Provides legal reviews of all materials, including website content, product features, marketing materials, and social media.
- Management and protection of all legal and intellectual property.
- Be able to build relationships across the company.
- Represents the company by responding to all legal issues and legal proceedings.
- Communicate effectively with both internal and external customers by providing exceptional customer service.
- Be innovative and stay current on all laws and best practices in the cannabis industry.
- Regular and consistent attendance is required and an essential function of this role.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- JD from an accredited law school.
- 5-7 years professional experience as an attorney.
- Must have passed the Arizona Bar Exam (Company will provide financial assistance if not licensed in Arizona) and be a licensed attorney in the State of Arizona.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations pertaining to cannabis helpful.
- Willingness to research and become a SME on cannabis laws, cannabis regulations and all pertaining regulatory issues.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age per state licensing guidelines.
- Experience creating and supporting legal processes and internal controls.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- The ability to multitask and balance several projects simultaneously on a national scope.
- Experience drafting and negotiating agreements and understanding of various intellectual property issues.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite.
- Must be able to pass a comprehensive state and federal background check per licensing requirements.
- Must have a current valid State-issued Driver’s License.
- Proper employment documentation and authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- A high level of professionalism focusing on internal and external customer service.
- Willingness to travel when necessary, to work extended hours when required to fulfill company growth requirements, and to be flexible with schedule and availability.
- Personal and professional attributes that exhibit a “whatever it takes” and “find a way” attitude.
- Excellent communication both verbally and through written media.
- Must be able to handle constructive feedback and guidance and offer the same to those within the organization.
- Ability to articulate job goals in a manner they are completed effectively the first time.
- Be a motivational leader and be able to inspire a team in a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to manage high-stress faced paced situations and to be flexible and adaptable when a situation requires it.
The above requirements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, and this job description may be amended at any time. Required experience, training, or educational requirements shall be as indicated or as deemed acceptable by Nature’s Medicines management.
Nature’s Medicines is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation and/or interview process should notify the job poster.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $120,000.00 – $160,000.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- general counsel: 10 years (Preferred)
- One location
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible